Thursday, April 4, 2013

Terror of the Crutches

There has been a lot of Tylenol dispensed in the house the past two days.  At 3 am yesterday Alistair woke up screaming.  When he came into bed for a cuddle, I could tell right away that he was burning up with a fever.  Poor little guy.  Not the best timing either since Colin was having knee surgery that afternoon.  Judith came over to watch the kids while I took Colin to the new outpatient surgery center at the hospital.  His surgery went very well.  The surgeon removed the bone fragments from his tendon and smoothed the surface of the tibia bone.  (Colin has an enlarged tibial tuberosity on his right tibia from Osgood-Schlatter disease when he was a teenager, and he has developed loose intratendinous ossicles in his patella tendon. )

Both Charlotte and Alistair were napping when we came back home.  (I can't remember the last time they napped at the same time.)  I got Colin settled on the couch and then woke up Charlotte.  Sometime later, I was helping Colin walk down the hall with crutches.  Charlotte was staring at Colin in terror and then burst into tears.  She did the same thing today the two times she saw him walk with his crutches.  First she looks concerned as he reaches for the crutches, then she looks terrified, and then starts to cry and buries her face in my neck.  She recovers quickly though once he's sat down.

Meanwhile, Alistair fever comes and goes between normal and 102.  Very weird.  He is not as compliant as Colin in taking his medicine.  I am having flashbacks to day when Lauren didn't want to take her medicine.  I have a cassette tape somewhere of her crying "I don't want to take my medicine!"

No comments:

Post a Comment