Sunday, May 13, 2012

Earth and All Stars

At bedtime, when Alistair is in bed and "Already to lay down!", I sing him a couple of songs.  For a while (over six months) I sang Christmas songs.  Then thankfully, we changed up the reptoire a bit - I still sand 'Silent Night', but added 'Green Hill Far Away.'  (It is somewhat strange singing about Jesus's death on the cross and then singing about his birth.)  I sang those two songs over a year.  The past couple of weeks, Alistair wanted new songs, so I grabbed my old Lutheran Hymnal and started looking for something new.  I hardly knew any of the songs, or the melodies well enough to sing the songs, but then I found 'Earth and All Stars.'  Perfect for kids - a song about stars, planets, trumpets, wind, snowstorms, flowers, trees, etc.  The fourth verse starts "Engines and steel, loud pounding hammers."  Perfect for a little boy.  So this morning at church, when we turned to the last hymn, I smiled when I saw it was "Earth and All Stars."  When we picked him up from the nursery downstairs, I said, "Alistair, we sang your favorite song."  He smiled be and asked, "Skinnamarinky dinky dink?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment