Monday, February 10, 2020

Pete Buttigieg in Plymouth

Yesterday after ice skating, Charlotte realized that she wasn't going to be able to see Mayor Pete.  She was pretty upset, so I looked to see if he was going to be anywhere nearby.  Lucky for Charlotte, he was going to be in Plymouth Monday morning.  So we drove up (on some sketchy roads in the snow) to Plymouth and saw him.


I have been to a lot of campaign events, but never with this much media.  It was kind of insane.  There were reporters everywhere.  We were interviewed by some Japanese television station, and just about everyone in line was being interviewed by one media organization or another.  Many media outlets wanted to talk to 86 year old Pat Provencher, who was wearing her usual straw hat and American flag jacket covered in Pete buttons.  I sat next to her way back in March when I saw Mayor Pete at the Fox News Town Hall in Claremont.  I saw her on Saturday too down in Manchester.


We were super lucky and were able to sit in the middle of the front row (right next to Pat Provencher and her daughter).  I couldn't believe how much press was there.  There were photographers sitting on the floor between us and the cordon marking a stage.  Charlotte was super excited when Stoneyfield Farm co-founder Gary Hirshberg announced Pete and he came out to speak.  She was bouncing in her seat.  After about five minutes of his stump speech, Evelyn asked, "Is that Pete?"



By the time we got to the part of the meet and greet where Pete answered questions, the girls were getting squirmy.  Evelyn and Charlotte were hugging while laying down on top of each other, each with their bums in their own seats.  A small gaggle of photographers saw Pete smiling at them and turned around to take their picture.  Pete laughed even harder.  It was a great moment.



We braved the media and the crowd to go and meet Pete.  He offered to hug Charlotte.  She was thrilled.  And we got our selfie.


Like I said, the media was crazy.  According to my friend Pamela, who lives in France, she saw me (and my yellow shirt) on the news in France.





No comments:

Post a Comment