Friday, July 4, 2014

Bats in the Night

At about two o'clock this morning I felt a breeze coming from near the closet.  Half asleep, I thought, that's wierd, the open windows are on the other side of me.  Then a few minutes later, I felt something brush past my arm.  We could hear something on the window.  Colin used the light from his cell phone to try to see what it was.  A big moth?  No - a bat!  I hid under the sheet, while Colin tried to get the bat out of the house.  It flew upstairs, where Grandad was sleeping, and eventually managed to get it to fly downstairs and out the front door.  We couldn't go back to sleep, so Colin researched bat traps and I read up about rabies.

We called our pediatrician in the morning, who called the New Hampshire Department of Health.  We all needed to go to the emergency room for rabies immune globulin and our first round of vaccine.  We all changed into gowns and were in the same room.  When Dr Austin walked in, he said, "You look familiar." 


We were in the ER for four and a half hours in total.  It took a while to see the attending, check to make sure it was safe for me to have the vaccine, calculate the amount of immune globulin, and make up the jabs.  We had cable, so Colin and I watched the France v. Germany World Cup match while the kids watched videos on the DVD player.  Colin and I had five and six jabs respectfully, and the kids thankfully only had two each.  Alistair soldiered through, and Charlotte cried and clung to me.  Not exactly the way we planned to spend the 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment